Paul Starrett has just the right set of skills and experience necessary to marshal every aspect of what this firm does. He handles all initial engagements where he carefully considers a client’s needs. He then assembles a team to be organized and managed according to the client’s priorities, timeline and budget.
Paul Starrett specializes in high-profile investigations, cyber risk and compliance consulting. A summary of his experience is below (please see other information on the right side of this page):
- Investigated 1000’s of cases over 12-year career as a corporate-security executive for Fortune 500 companies to include internal and third-party fraud, conflicts-of-interest, violations of compliance laws (e.g. Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd-Frank), other criminal and civil matters and significant violations of company policy and procedure.
- Managed 100’s of cases over 10-year period as information-governance and litigation-management professional including some of the largest and most notable matters that came about as a result of the financial collapse during the start of the great recession.
- Position as information-security engineer / programmer over 6-year period in the area of enterprise-solution integration. This included technologies in access, authentication and encryption as well as firewall, anti-virus, intrusion detection and similar cyber security tools. This background enables consultation on use of software applications and infrastructure platforms to ensure compliance with privacy, data protection and breach-notification laws.
- Completion of graduate degree in data science to ensure credible knowledge / skill to handle large / complex data-sets (“big data”) for audits and investigations and for use in the design of efficient, defensible compliance solutions. Attainment of computer forensics certification (EnCE) to competently consult on cases where electronic evidence is fundamental.
- Positions as general counsel and chief risk officer for proper communication and assimilation of compliance and risk-management solutions.
- Attainment of graduate degree in taxation and status as Certified Fraud Examiner to competently investigate financial / fraud matters and commercial / business disputes.
- Nationally published in the areas of interview and interrogation, electronic evidence, private investigations and e-commerce law and technology.
*Note: There may be times when a client can best be served on extra-sensitive matters under the protection of the attorney-client privilege. Our CEO, Paul Starrett, maintains a separate law firm (licensed in California) specifically for this need. Under the guidance of the law firm, many of the services which this consulting provides will enjoy greater protection under attorney-client privileges and the work-product doctrine. Additionally, this firm provides other legal advice relevant to electronic-evidence issues. See their website for further details: www.starrettlaw.com